Without a doubt Troy is the most famous city of the ancient world, capital of a land of myths and legend, of heroes and Gods, and a land that we can take you to.
This tour is specially designed for those visitors to Turkey who only have limited time, but who wish to walk in the footsteps of Achilles, Hector and the beautiful Helen and learn of how a long lost city was rediscovered.
Your tour starts at the door of your hotel in Istanbul, where you will be met by our passenger escort before boarding our specially configured bus, designed to provide more space and greater leg room for your comfort.
On arrival in the town of Eceabat, once the ancient city of Madytos, located on the shores of the Dardanelles Strait, you will be able to enjoy lunch at a local restaurant.
After lunch, your guide will accompany you on a 25 minute ferry trip across the Dardanelles to Canakkale, where you will board our tour bus for the drive to nearby Troy.
During the tour your guide will explain the mythology surrounding Troy, as well as the history and discoveries of the archaeological excavations from its discovery by Heinrich Schliemann in the 1870s to the present day.
Nine cities have been discovered built one on top of the other dating back to before 3500 BC, with the city made famous by Homer in his book the Iliad describing the ten year war being just one of the layered settlements.
Not only will you see the still impressive defensive walls of the ancient city and learn the story of the Trojan War, but you will also be able to walk past the ruins of everyday houses dating back more than 3000 years, and walk the same paths as the people of the city did three millennia ago.
Following your tour, you will re-board our tour bus to be carried back to Canakkale, from where you will return by ferry to Eceabat. After a brief break, you will board our bus for the return trip to Istanbul, to be dropped at your hotel door.
Among the highlights of our one day Troy Tour from Istanbul are:
- Walking along the 3700 year old city walls,
- Standing before ancient sacrificial alters and the city’s open air theatre or Odeon,
- Seeing the remains of the settlements of Troy laid one atop the other,
- Looking at recent excavations at the site, which is still giving up its treasures after more than 150 years of archaeological work; and learning from your guide the myths, legends and history of Troy, the fact and fiction that surround this ancient site.
DAY 1 Istanbul – Eceabat – Istanbul
06.00 – 06.30 Pick up from hotel door around Taksim area
06.30 – 07.00 Pick up from hotel door around Sultanahmet area
Depart for Eceabat by non smoking, A/C minibus
09.00 Breakfast on the way
12.20 Arrive in Eceabat
12.30 Restaurant lunch in Eceabat
13.00 Depart for Fully Guided Troy Tour
- The Trojan Horse,
- Sacrificial Altars,
- The 3700 year old city walls,
- Houses of Troy I, 3000 B.C. – 2500 B.C.
- The Bouleuterium (Senate Building),
- The Odeon (Concert Hall),
- Current excavations in progress,
- Remains of the various cities from Troy I through to Troy IX,
17.30 Back from Troy Tour
18.00 Depart for Istanbul
23.00 Arrive in Istanbul and drop back to your hotel
- Transportation in A/C ‘NO – SMOKING’ coach from Istanbul to Eceabat & Eceabat to Istanbul,
- Breakfast on the way,
- Restaurant lunch during Gallipoli Tour,
- Fully Guided Troy Tour with an English speaking guide,
- Entrance fees to Troy Ancient Site,
- Ferry fees,